"Goulburn" the layout is based on the railway station and immediate precinct of the southern NSW town, which is located on the Main Southern railway line. Construction of the layout commenced in November 2013 after much research and many site visits to the area.
"Goulburn" is modelled to represent the area during the mid-1980s time period. We are modelling the area between the Blackshaw Rd level crossing at the Sydney end of town to the Braidwood Rd overbridge just south of the station. The trains being run are typical of those that ran through Goulburn from the steam era through to those that can be seen there today.
The layout is operated by conventional DC block control, with a separate controller for each of the Up and Down main line tracks and a third controller for the yard and sidings.
"Goulburn" was debuted to the public at the Thornleigh exhibition in Sydney over the June 2016 long weekend.
"Goulburn" has won the following awards:
- 'Best Exhibition Layout' at the 2018 Canberra Model Railway Exhibition, Kaleen
- 'Best Australian Scenery' at the 2019 Sydney Model Railway Exhibition, Homebush
- 'Best Scenery' and 'Best Exhibition Layout' at the 2023 Canberra Model Railway Exhibition, Kaleen
- Scale: HO
- Location: Goulburn NSW, 225 kilometres from Sydney by rail
- Period: Layout modelled on the mid-1980s, trains represent any era from steam to present day
- Layout type: Continuous double track mainline with yard; 14-track storage yard at rear
- Layout size: 6.5 metres (21 feet) by 2.7 metres (9 feet)
- Baseboard: 9 millimetre and 12 millimetre plywood framing with plywood top and aluminium A-frame legs
- Track: Peco code 100 electrofrog points and flextrack, Tortoise point motors
- Train Control: Home-made DC controllers based on the CoolerCrawler design
- Layout Control: MERG CBUS for points, signalling, uncoupling and other accessory controls
- Lighting: Daylight LED tubes
- Scenery: Plaster over lightweight foam and topped with coloured scatter material, with a mix of home-made and readymade trees
- Structures: Scratchbuilt from plans and photos
- Locomotives and rolling stock: Scratchbuilt, modified ready-to-run and kit built NSW and Australian prototypes